Dr Charbel Sandroussi MBBS(Hons) MMSc FRACS is a practicing specialist surgeon in hepatobiliary, upper gastrointestinal, transplantation and general surgery at Royal Prince Alfred and the Matter Hospitals in Sydney. He also now has admitting and operating rights at Baringa Private Hospital and locum rights at the Coffs Harbour Health Campus.
Charbel completed his General Surgical Fellowship and obtained the FRACS in 2005. He has since undertaken comprehensive training in all aspects of hepatobiliary, pancreactic, oesophagogastric and transplantation surgery. This comprised of two years of post-fellowship training in oesophagogastric and hepatobiliary surgery in busy Australian units in Sydney followed by two years of clinical fellowship in hepatobiliary, pancreatic and transplantation surgery at the University of Toronto, Canada. Whilst in Toronto, he easily satisfied the requirements for certification by the American Hepato-Pancreaticobiliary Association (AHPBA) and the American Society of Transplantation Surgery (ASTS).
Charbel’s intention is to provide a means for local assessment and treatment of patients with benign or malignant conditions of the oesophagus, stomach, liver, biliary tree and pancreas as well as morbid obesity if need be in Coffs Harbour. Patients whose conditions require treatment at a tertiary institution, he will assess locally then attend their surgery at RPAH or The Mater Misericordiae in Sydney.
He is particularly interested in the application of minimally invasive techniques in liver and pancreatic resection including staged liver resection for patients with bilobar metastasis, and complex resections including those requiring major vessels reconstruction (Inferior Vena Cava, Portal vein and foregut arteries). He is also interested in the management of all aspects of benign and malignant biliary and luminal oesophagogastric conditions. Charbel is trained and accredited by the Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Society of Australia (GESA) in diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy and Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP).
Dr Sandroussi’s intention is to complement the surgical services already provided in Coffs Harbour rather than duplicate services which are already well covered. The following is a brief list of procedures that he is proficient at:
- Liver: Resections for primary and secondary liver tumours including complex and staged resections, in-vivo isolated cold perfusion of the liver, major vascular resections and reconstruction.
- Pancreas: Management of all benign and malignant conditions, open and laparoscopic resectional surgery including major vascular resection.
- Oesophagus/stomach: management of all benign and malignant conditions, including radical resection for cancer, hiatus hernia surgery as well as open and laparoscopic resections.
- Surgery for morbid obesity including laparoscopic gastric banding and sleeve gastrectomy. However, he does not intend to focus on this as Coffs Harbour already has two morbid obesity surgeons (Drs Andrew Ramsay and Achuthan Warrier).
- Laparoscopy: Laparoscopic applications of all the above as well as adrenalectomy and splenectomy.
- Endoscopy and ERCP: Full range of diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
Should you have any patients that you wish to refer to Dr Sandroussi, his contact Details are as follows:
Dr Charbel Sandroussi can be contacted through:
Coffs Colorectal & Capsule Endoscopy Centre
or through his Sydney Telephone no: (02) 9565 1375 and Fax: (02)9565 1108